• Jobs Forum
    (Career Center)
  • Submit
  • Archives
  • Subscribe
  • News & Commentary - Message forums

Windows and C# developent vs open source
    Submitted by Stephen R. Lasky; posted on Monday, December 09, 2002
    Submitter You are missing the point about Perl, *nix and Windows. What should be important to the bioinformatics community is that the source-code of the programs we use be open. As a scientist, I will not use reagents whose components I cannot have access to; I want to know the composition of the protease inhibitor cocktail I use making nuclear extracts and what regents are in the coctail I use to label cRNA (kits are a fact of life, but I won't use a kit that isn't based on a protocol that is published somewhere that I can see it, preferrably in a peer reviewed journal). The same holds true for the software I use to analyze data; having access to the algorithms used to classify the results of an array experiment or to design a set of unique oligos to print on an array is a requirment before I will use the programs. Microsoft has not been a supporter of open source software, and has, according to memos released from inside Microsoft, actively tried to stop this movement. Becuase of this attitude, Microsoft likes to use propietary processes that make porting to a different os difficult. That said, there are open source C compilers and java runtime environments available for windows, and programs written in java run on windows, if you install the latest Sun Java and not the old version supplied by Microsoft (another example of Microsofts efforts to squelch open source, see the news articles about the Sun suit against Microsoft that is taking place right now). And there are perl, python, and tcl interpretors/compilers for Windows (see activestate website). More importantly, there are a many software developers who are working on the bioperl, biopython, and biojava projects whose goal is to facilitate the development of portable code, rather than having to reinvent code for everyday tasks over and over again. You say that most software is written for Unix OS in perl and Java. I think that if you look, you will find that much of the commercial, proprietary bioinformatics software is written for windows. This is a good business plan because companies know that Microsoft has the lions share of the desktop market. It only makes sense to write software for the most common desktop OS so you can sell a license for every desktop that needs to use the program. That's a good business plan, but not necessarily good for developing bioinformatics projects. While I wouldn't think of discouraging your investigations into C# and .Net, I think you ought to take a close look at the opensource projects (like bioperl, biopython, biojava, bioConductor, R, genex and many many more), and see what people are actually doing in bioinformatics rather than to assume that because it isn't based around a microsoft format it is either too hard or done badly. btw, this little form will only allow me to choose the value "Anonymous" for "Post as". I'm sure that this is just a problem with browser compatibility, but its another example of why we need to have some common ways to do things, whether we use linux, MS, solaris, or a macintosh. srlasky
    C# lib for bioinformatics
    Submitted by Nobody; posted on Friday, August 13, 2004
    www.ubic2.org
    Windows and C# developent vs open source
    Submitted by Nobody; posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005
    test
    Add a message to this thread:
    You have to be logged in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2024 Scilico, LLC · Privacy Policy