Topic: Disable data-* attributes in htmLawed 1.2.beta

I'm struggling with how to turn off all data-* attributes in the latest beta.

I'm hoping to turn something like this:

<div div-something="cool">Hello there</div>

Into this:

<div>Hello there</div>

Currently I'm using this config:

$string = htmLawed($string, array(
    'safe' => 1,
    'deny_attribute' => 'style,class,id,data,on',
    'comment' => 1,
    'make_tag_strict' => 0
));

I have been looking at the docs but this particular issue has me stumped. It is perhaps worth nothing that there are cases where I *do* want to allow data-* attributes.

Re: Disable data-* attributes in htmLawed 1.2.beta

For the current beta for htmLawed 1.2, there is no single, generic representation for data-* attributes. Thus, whereas all on* event attributes like 'onclick' can be specified in config.'s 'deny_attribute' using 'on*', one cannot use 'data*'. Instead one has to use the exact data-* attribute names (the same is true for aria-* attributes).

In your case therefore each data-* attribute has to be named (note that it should be 'on*' and not 'on' and that with 'safe' set to 1, there is no need to separately specify the 'on*'):

$string = htmLawed($string, array(
    'safe' => 1,
    'deny_attribute' => 'style, class, id, data-abc, data-xyz, on*',
    'comment' => 1,
    'make_tag_strict' => 0
));

I know this htmLawed behavior needs improvement. I will soon release a new version for better handling of data-*.

For the time-being, you can edit line# 494 in htmLawed.php to remove -- or preg_match('`data-((?!xml)[^:]+$)`', $k) -- to disallow data-* attributes by default. Then, to allow specific data-* attributes, use htmLawed's 'spec' argument. For example, with following code, 'data-myAttr1' and 'data-myAttr2' will be permitted only in 'div', and 'data-myAttr3' only in 'img'.

htmLawed(
    $string,
    array(
        'safe' => 1,
        'deny_attribute' => 'style, class, id',
        'comment' => 1,
        'make_tag_strict' => 0
    ),
    'div = data-myAttr1, data-myAttr2; img = data-myAttr3'
);

The values in 'data-myAttr1', etc., can also be checked with htmLawed's 'spec' argument (see documentation).