[BiO BB] RE: BiO_Bulletin_Board digest, Vol 1 #25 - 2 msgs

huseyin uysal uysal at doctor.com
Mon Apr 23 04:34:20 EDT 2001

Dear Peter,
I advice you to look at the IBM bluegene project about the predicting
tertiary structure of proteins from primary sequence means protein folding.
Here is the brief description of project
and you can find more info about supercomputers and aplication areas at IBM
site.

On December 6, 1999, IBM announced a $100 million research initiative to
build the world's fastest supercomputer, "Blue Gene", to tackle fundamental
problems in computational biology. The Blue Gene system will be capable of
performing more than one petaop/s (1,000,000,000,000,000 operations per
second). It will achieve this performance through a combination of massive
parallelism (1 million processors), and new computer architecture
approaches: the system will be built through the replication of a large
number of identical chips, each containing multiple processors, memory and
communication logic. Simultaneous multithreading will be used at each
processor to hide memory latency and simplify microprocessor design. The
Blue Gene project will use this computer for large scale biomolecular
simulation to advance our understanding of biologically important processes,
in particular our understanding of the mechanisms behind protein folding.

http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/

Huseyin Uysal