[BiO BB] open source ideas

Indraneel Majumdar indraneel at indialine.org
Tue Aug 21 23:36:08 EDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 08:24:05PM -0400, J.W. Bizzaro wrote:
> Joel Dudley wrote:
> >
> >   I have the greatest urge to create free, open-source applications for
> > biological research, but as I scan the lists of available software it seems
> > like it has all been done
all been done?? Please don't scare me like that, I still get a paycheck
every month for writing (would be) open source code for Bioinfo.

> If you're referring to projects list at BiO, most are just getting started or
> are under development.  I wouldn't say they're "done" ;-)  You may want to
> consider joining one of the projects, whatever interests you.

or if you find other people's ideas difficult to follow, read up some
semi-scientific articles (scientific american probably would be a good
start, also new scientist), look at a biological problem (whatever
interests you) from a programmer's/IT person's point of view and do
something about it (code, code, code). I'm pretty certain nobody will
have addressed it before, but you can check that at google.com before
you start.

best wishes,
Indraneel