[BiO BB] open source ideas

Joel Dudley Joel.Dudley at DevelopOnline.com
Wed Aug 22 12:20:54 EDT 2001

Thanks! Wxwindows looks great!

-----Original Message-----
From: Philipp Pagel [mailto:philipp.pagel at cmp.yale.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 9:06 AM
To: bio_bulletin_board at bioinformatics.org
Subject: Re: [BiO BB] open source ideas

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 08:00:41AM -0700, Joel Dudley wrote:
> Alright already! I'll code it. :-)  I am mainly a Unix programmer but
> Window's programming is easy so I can whip something together. There are
> some cross platform GUI toolkits like Motif or GTK but I am unsure about
> their quirks between platforms. I will probably write it in Visual C++
> unless I find a better cross-platform solution (which would be preferred
> since I use Linux on all my machines).  Maybe I can come up with my own
> simple widget set using a cross-platform graphics library like SDL. I will

I've been looking arround for a nice cross plattform GUI toolkit. There are
out there so I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel and hack together another
For a nice overview have a look at:

Especially wxWindows looks quite good to me (no affiliation):

It seems to have originated in a UNIX environment and has been ported to an
impressive number of platforms. If I really start to write the thing I'm
thinking about I'll probably use this...

Dr. Philipp Pagel
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology         phone: (203)
SHM, B117                                               fax:   (203)
Yale University
333 Cedar ST
New Haven, CT 06520

BiO_Bulletin_Board maillist  -  BiO_Bulletin_Board at bioinformatics.org