[BiO BB] Introducing into Bioinformatics

Gary Van Domselaar gvd at penguin.pharmacy.ualberta.ca
Wed Feb 14 09:29:53 EST 2001

Marielle,

One of the best-selling books on bioinformatics is "Bioinformatics - A
Practical Guide to the Analysis of Genes and Proteins," Baxevanis and
Oulette (Wiley, 1998)".  I found it to be very accessible.  Another early,
but still valuable book is "Sequence Analysis Primer" by Gribskov (1991).
A less accessible, but still valuable book IMO, is "Bioinformatics, The
Machine Learning Approach" by Baldi and Brunak.  If you have no biology
background, you might want to pick up a good molecular biology text.
"Molecular Biology of the Cell" by James Watson (of Watson/Crick fame) is
very good.

Regards,

g.
                             Gary Van Domselaar
Ph.D. Candidate,                                    Associate Director,
Faculty of Pharmacy,                   Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab
University of Alberta                           gary at bioinformatics.org
gary at penguin.pharmacy.ualberta.ca        http://bioinformatics.org/gary