[BiO BB] Unix or Linux

hzi at uol.com.br hzi at uol.com.br
Tue Nov 13 19:46:03 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 04:35:54PM -0600, Indraneel Majumdar wrote:
> My desktop/laptop/servers (cluster -- coming soon!) all have debian
> scrawled on their screens.
>
> GNU/Linux is here to stay
> Hip, Hip, hurray!
>
> \Indraneel
>
> PS: Our supplier will be delivering AthlonXP as he ran out of
> Thunderbirds. Now, aint that just perfect timing?
>
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 09:37:46AM -0800, Peri Suraj wrote:
> >
> > 1. UNIX ( Digital, Solaris, IRIX that are proprietory
> > and robust)
> > 2. LINUX( Free, widely used and flexible)
> >
> > Folks, what would you prefer?

   I've never used Unix.
   In terms of Linux, I've tried RedHat and Conectiva, but I know use
   Debian. It's very easy to update your system with it. You can
   download 100Mb of software and, when it's done, you just press
   <ENTER> and it will install withou a flaw. Much better that the rpm
   system, where you keep getting those "ooops, there's a package
   missing here!" messages.

   From what I read there's a general trend to substitute Unix for
   Linux (I read this in the specialized press).

   Give Debian GNU/Linux a try. You won't regret it.
   Regards,

   Henry