[BiO BB] Has anyone ever tried Lisp?

James Thompson muppetman559 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:10:34 EST 2001

I've heard people say that Lisp should be something that any programmer
learns, regardless of whether they ever use it again or not, because of they
way it teaches you to think. My most recent programming classes used Scheme,
which is a dialect of Lisp. I really liked it, it forced me to think in a
much more abstract way than most other computer science courses that I've
ever taken, and I think that this has helped the way in which I will design
and implement programs in the future. Iit allowed some extremely graceful
solutions to problems that we were given in class. I definitely think that
it is worth checking out. Here are some links for those who interested:

Paul Graham used LISP to design a program that was eventually bought by
Yahoo and become Yahoo Stores, here is his article on the subject:
http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

Endpoint Computer is a company that uses LISP to help solve a variety of
problems, here is their rational for it:
http://www.endpointcomputing.com/articles/lisp.html

One of the more interesting articles that I've read concerns the use of Lisp
as a Java Alternative:
http://www-aig.jpl.nasa.gov/public/home/gat/lisp-study.html

Happy Lisping everyone, and I wish you all a good Thanksgiving.

James Thompson