[BiO BB] Has anyone ever tried Lisp?

jim gellman jim at gellman.net
Wed Nov 21 10:55:42 EST 2001

Lisp, and the related dialect Scheme, are both fun languages to work with,
and I agree that you can learn a lot about programming through them.  In
particular, the Scheme book "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs" by Abelson and Sussman is an excellent book that will challenge
the way you think about programming and deepen your enthusiasm for the
craft.

Whether or not it will scale, though, depends on what you mean by the word.
I'd hesitate to use either for a large, multi-person project because of the
lack of a type system.  Proper use of types can prevent a  whole lot of
errors as software components evolve in large and small ways, and engineers
come and go.

jim