[BiO BB] protein identity

Philipp Pagel philipp.pagel at cmp.yale.edu
Mon Oct 22 17:49:43 EDT 2001

		Hi!

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 01:42:08PM -0700, nabula easter wrote:
>   When two proteins are 98-99% identical, what is the
> relationship associated between them.
>  Can we call those proteins as very close homologues !
> or that 2% difference between then is due to sequence
> errors at Nucleic acid level.
> At nucleic acid level they would be 94% identical and
> we can say a sequnce error!

That depends on how reliable your sequence is. If your sequence data is
reliable you have a close homologue. What exactly that means depends on the
source of the DNA and functional data:

	- In the same species you might be looking at different isoforms - maybe
	  with functional differences.
	- If it's from different species it is likely that they are functionally
	  the same thing.
  - The proteins might also have significantly different functions although
    you would expect less identity.

So they could be orthologs, paralogs, isoforms or just sequencing errors. Was
this a hypothetical question or are you talking about something you are working
on right now? If it's a real-world question you may want to tell us where the
sequence data came from and we can narrow it down some more.

cu and hope it helps

 	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology         phone: (203) 785-6835