[BiO BB] Re: hydrophobicity based structure design.

Ravi Makkena kishore at UDel.Edu
Thu Apr 18 13:40:47 EDT 2002

Hi

  recently i have attended a talk given by
Matthew Tirrell
Dean, College of Engineering
Professor, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Santa Barbara

May be their work might be useful to U

they are working on

CREATING FUNCTIONAL PEPTIDE ARCHITECTURES AT INTERFACES

Short peptide sequences, derived from whole proteins, can be useful
synthetic agents for conferring a specific biological function to a
material surface. Their ability to do this depends on delivering them to

the surface in a biologically recognizable form, that is in a spatial
configuration that is not too different from that adopted by the peptide

in the whole protein. Most functional proteins have secondary and
tertiary levels of structure that are essential to their activities;
peptides have simpler but no less important structures. In our work, we
have focussed on peptides derived from extracellular matrix proteins. We

have found that attaching synthetic lipid tails to peptides fragments
gives them two very useful properties for surface modification. The
hydrophobic tails give rise to a self-assembly capacity enabling these
molecules to organize into membrane, monolayer and bilayer structures.
Less expected is that this level of self-assembly induces a second level

in the peptide headgroup. Peptides from alpha-helical and triple-helical

regions of protein are induced by the lipid tails to form protein-like
secondary structures and therefore to have more effective biological
activity.

/ravi