[BiO BB] I've Been Having Problems

Pam Culpepper pac at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri May 10 14:18:35 EDT 2002

Someone asked me if I would share my script for downloading Genbank files on
a daily basis.

I've been having horrendous problems with MS products of all kinds.  I had
to reformat and rebuild
my hard drive due to the dreaded registry problems.  I am a Unix/Mac/Linux
person and I think my MS office
system knows this.

At any rate, I lost all my mail.

I don't have a script to download Genbank files on a daily basis.  If you
want Genbank records, I suggest
you download the ASN1 files and then do an asn2gb (in the toolkit/demo
directory) for the Genbank records.
asn2ff (also in the toolkit/demo directory) will output Fasta-formatted
sequences which you would then fmerge with your Blast databases.

If you're interested in a script that would do this, I can put one together
for you.

say that when I started in bioinformatics I had no bioinformatics
background, just a solid computing/mathematical/engineering background.  I
picked up the biology by reading Genes V, Biological Sequence Analysis,
Biostatistics, etc. and working with sequence analysis tools.

Pam