[BiO BB] Announcing BioLayout JAVA v1.0b

Anton Enright anton at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Oct 1 17:39:07 EDT 2002

Dear Friends,

We would like to announce the release of BioLayout JAVA v1.0b.

This is a tool we've been developing for visualising protein-protein
interaction networks and protein sequence similarity graphs. Although, the
method should be able to lay out just about any type of graph.

BioLayout JAVA uses a modified Fruchterman Rheingold graph layout algorithm
which performs very nice layouts of complex graphs.

The previous version was written in C and had many portability problems, the
new version in JAVA, should run on just about any platform and has many new
features.

For best performance, we recommend running the application on a fast machine
with plenty of memory (e.g. Mac G4 1.0Ghz, 250MB RAM). This is because large
graphs may require a lot of processing, and memory.

If you are interested in downloading BioLayout JAVA, or finding out about
the algorithm, then please go to the project homepage at:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/research/cgg/services/layout

Please feel free to let us know your comments and to report problems at:

biolayout at ebi.ac.uk

Many Thanks,

The BioLayout Development Team.

Anton Enright, Leon Goldovsky and Ildefonso Cases (Ouzounis Group).

European Bioinformatics Institute,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton,
Cambridge.