[BiO BB] Bioinformatics Conferences

mllrdm at mail.rnu.tn mllrdm at mail.rnu.tn
Fri Sep 6 18:37:45 EDT 2002

Hi Nadia,

There is also :

           Atlantic Symposium on Computational Biology
                             and
        Genome Information Systems & Technology
                           (CBGI'03)
                  Cary, North Carolina, U.S.A.
                    September 26-30, 2003

Where I'm organizing a session (see below).

Best,
Mourad.

                       CALL FOR PAPERS

                         BIOKDD-CBGI'03

                Biological Knowledge Discovery
                        and Data Mining

                           Session of

         Atlantic Symposium on Computational Biology
                             and
        Genome Information Systems & Technology
                           (CBGI'03)
                  Cary, North Carolina, U.S.A.
                    September 26-30, 2003

  With the development of Molecular Biology during the
last decades, we arewitnessing an exponential growth of
both the volumeand the complexity ofbiological data. The
Human Genome Project is providingthe sequence of the
3 billion DNA bases that constitute the human genome.And,
consequently, weare provided too with the sequences of
about 100,000 proteins. Therefore,we are entering the
post-genomic era : After having focused so much efforts
on the accumulation of data, we have now to focus as
much efforts, and evenmore, on the analysis of these data.
This will enable us to learn more about gene expression,
protein interactions and other biological mechanisms.
Analyzing this huge volume of data is a challenging task
because, not only, of its complexity and its multiple
numerous correlated factors, but also, because of the
continuous evolution of our understanding of the biological
mechanisms. Classical approaches of biological data analysis
are no longer efficient and produce only a very limited
amount of information, compared to the numerous and complex
biological mechanisms under study. Actually, these approaches
use only a very limited number of parameters, to represent
the so-many correlated factors involved in the biological
mechanisms. From here comes the necessity to use computer
tools and develop new in silico high performance approaches,
to support us in the analysis of biological data. And, hence,
to help us in our understanding of the correlations that exist
between, on one hand, structures and functional patterns of
biological sequences, i.e., DNA, RNA and proteins, and, on
the other hand, genetic and biochemical mechanisms. Knowledge
Discovery and Data mining (KDD) are a response to these new trends :

  Knowledge discovery is an emerging field where we combine
techniques from Algorithmics, Artificial Intelligence, Mathematics
and Statistics to deal with the theoretical and practical issues of
extracting knowledge, i.e., new concepts or concept relationships,
hidden in volumes of raw data. Knowledge discovery offers the
capacity to automate complex search and data analysis tasks.
We distinguish two types of knowledge discovery systems :
verification systems and discovery ones. Verification systems are
limited to verifying the users hypothesis, while, discovery ones
autonomously predict and explain new knowledge. Biological
knowledge discovery process should provide for the selection of
the appropriate data mining approaches by taking into account
both the characteristics of the biological data and the general
requirements of knowledge discovery process.

  Data mining is one of the pre-processing steps in the
knowledge discovery process. It consists in extracting nuggets
of information, i.e., pertinent patterns, pattern correlations,
estimations or rules, hidden in bodies of data. The extracted
information will be used in the verification of hypothesis or
the prediction and explanation of knowledge. Biological data
mining aims at extracting motifs, functional sites or
clustering/classification rules from biological sequences.
Numerous techniques suitable for data mining in Molecular Biology
are available, however, the selection of ad hoc ones is non-trivial.

  In our session, we are interested in papers that deal with issues
of biological KDD.

INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
  You are invited to submit a hardcopy or a pdf version of a draft
paper, about 4 to 5 pages including figures and references, before
May 1, 2003 to the Session Chair:

Dr. Mourad Elloumi,
Mailing Address: Cite Intilak bloc 6, app. 7,
                 El Menzah 6,
                 2091 Tunis,
                 Tunisia.
Phone : +216 71 233 253