[BiO BB] Re: Bioinformatics Project

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Sun Jul 27 23:17:59 EDT 2003

Hi Dan.

Dan Bolser wrote:
> I will prepare a list of projects which I think are
> reasonable, and then I guess we should initiate
> some kind of open discussion on the relevance /
> previous work in the area / statement of aims and
> objectives / etc.
>
> Is this kind of forum available at bioinfo.org?

If the project requires software development, the Biodevelopers forum
would be a good place to go:

   biodevelopers at bioinformatics.org
   http://bioinformatics.org/lists/biodevelopers

> I would really like to see an open forum for 'modular'
> project discussion, where people can add relevant
> papers / link / etc. to form a knowledge base for
> further work.

I'd been thinking along these lines too.  I often get e-mail messages
from students looking for ideas to pursue, and I have to tell them that
most scientists have very few leads and thus covet them (i.e., good luck
getting anyone to give them away).

I also know of many knowledgebase projects to archive things that we
know.  But, how about things that we **DON'T KNOW**?  How about
developing a "lack-of-knowledge-base" or "questionbase", where the
literature is mined for unanswered questions (perhaps from the "future
directions" sections in published articles)?

Does anyone know if anything like that exists (specifcally one where the
questions have **NEVER** been answered)?  If not, maybe it should be
made (and then, for everyone out there who has asked me for ideas, there
you go ;-))

Cheers.
Jeff
J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff at bioinformatics.org
President, Bioinformatics.Org       http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
                    -- Benjamin Franklin