[BiO BB] orthologs vs in-paralogs

Phil Luo luo_2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 19:20:29 EDT 2003

Dear all,

As we know ,there are two kinds of homolog, ortholog and paralog. Genes in two species that have directly evolved from a single gene in the last common ancestor are called orthologs. A set of homologous genes that have diverged from each other as a consequence of genetic duplication are called paralogs. Sometime those paralogs which arose from a duplication after the speciation event are called in-paralogs.

My question is how to distinguish the in-paralogs from orthologs. Which one is supposed to be more similar, in-paralogs or orthologs?

Best regards,
Phil