[BiO BB] Poly A tail length - script help please

Tristan Fiedler tfiedler at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Sep 9 17:00:55 EDT 2003

Thanks for the scripting tips!  I have a 'counting' issue which I need to
quickly resolve.  A typical sequence input file (5 - 700 bases) looks like
:

AGTAGTCGATCATNATANCTANTACNACTACTAACTATGCTAGNNAATATAAAAAAAAANAAA

I have over 500 files, named *.seq.  I would like to create a script which :

a.  runs through all the files,
b.  counts the length of the 'poly A' tail (defined as the longest stretch
of A or N)
c. sends the output to a file, eg.

25 1.seq
87 2.seq