[BiO BB] protein clustering threshold

Shamshad Zarina szed4 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 13:04:39 EST 2004

Crystallins are very good examples for proteins having
structural and sequence similarity but different
functions. I work on lens protiens but I don't recall
an example with >90% identity yet different functions.

One example with less identity is of Rho-crystallin
found in bull-frog where it acts as 'structural
protein' to maintain lens transparency. It shows 55%
sequence identity with Aldo-keto reductase superfamily
which are enzymes. Both proteins have similar three
dimensioanl structure and one residue required for
catalytic activity is absent in rho-crystallin.

Best,
Shamshad

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12902157&dopt=Abstract