[BiO BB] [Fwd: Small Genome Similarity]

Martin Gollery mgollery at unr.edu
Wed Feb 18 19:45:52 EST 2004

   Try going to Blosum30 for the matrix, and lower the open and extend gap
penalties, and lower the reporting threshold. Use the mito codons. If you still
don't get hits, switch from BLAST to Smith-Waterman, or use Interproscan to
compare it to several signature databases.

Quoting "J.W. Bizzaro" <jeff at bioinformatics.org>:

>I am looking at a novel 2.4 KB viral genome and want to see if anything
>homologous is known.
>Have tried blastn,blastx variants but nothing comes up (possibly due to
>frame or simply divergence).
>This beastie may replicate in the mitochondria of vertebrates so
>translations may need to use mito not nuclear codons.
>Please let me know if you have any suggestions or experience looking at
>similar sequences.
>Thank you,

Martin Gollery
Associate Director