[BiO BB] Please guide me

Andrius obj at obj.hopto.org
Fri Jan 30 07:53:13 EST 2004

Michael Gruenberger wrote:

>I can see why the idea of a common language is a good idea, but I don't
>understand how a schema would achieve that?

when i was mentioning common schema i wasn't considering database schema
(structure). such global database
schema won't make sense since everyone may have different requirements.
i meant common schema as a common communication
protocol. yes, it's not a right word, it came from web services, xml
schema, etc. and yes, new bioinformatics language would make
lot more for community. indeed, i see some confusion about why should
every bioinformatician use perl (well, perl comes first when you ask
google)... nor it's designed for it, nor it make learning path easier
(time to come and do research). i think the new language should be
developed, language which makes good string processing as perl does and
introduces constructs/objects which are familiar for people with
biological background.