[BiO BB] Linear Bioinformatics workflow?

Chris Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Tue Oct 4 10:40:48 EDT 2005

Amir,

There is another major category of workflow that I've seen:

"I have a [protein sequence | genomic region | compound | mass spec
output] and I want to find out everything in the entire world about
it.  Ideally, all the result values would be converted to a common
vocabulary, format, and normalization.  I would rather not go to
every website in the world, or even know about all those websites.
Can you help me?"

This is a "wide" rather than a "deep" process.

As to your original question - my personal opinion is that interface
design is really, really hard, and that if someone were going to come
up with a good, generic way to put that sort of power in the hands of
non-programmer types, it would have happened by now.

That said, if you narrow the problem enough that it doesn't have to
do everything in the world, things get a lot simpler.   Each of the
tools that people have mentioned have their strengths and
weaknesses.  None will solve every problem.

I'm not aware of a really killer solution for your specific use case:
   - let users explore a limited set of tools, and dynamically build
up a protocol
   - save that protocol in a personal workspace for future (personal)
re-use and possible sharing
   - but keep it totally limited and simple so as not to intimidate
non-programmers
   - Plus flexible enough to handle large-ish batches of data

Most of the commercial and free workflow engines will do this, but it
sounds like the overhead of learning to use them is a bit much for
your users?

-Chris Dwan