[BiO BB] Re: [Bioperl-l] Tool to mutate DNA sequence

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at sanbi.ac.za
Thu Feb 9 09:54:30 EST 2006

Ryan,

I should have made this very clear in my first reply:

You have to plan very carefully what rules you use when you mutate your
sequence because it will affect directly the resulting sequences. Of course,
all that depends on what you will be using the sequences for. If you are
going to draw evolutionary conclusions from those sequences, you must mutate
them in a way that simulates evolutionary principles.

My earlier pseudocode example, for example, should allow mutations in every
location. Mutations do occur multiple times in same places as sequences get
saturated by mutations. Also, you should decide the relative occurrence of
transversions versus transitions. Then there are indels; do you want to take
those into account?

Also, check the EMBOSS program 'msbar'.

You did not ask this, but... I remember that during the early days of Celera,
one of the tools that enabled them to estimate the feasibility of the whole
genome shotgun sequence assembly, was a very complete program to 'synthesize'
in-silico the whole complexity of the human genome. I have no idea of that
program is generally available now.

Yours,

    -Heikki