[BiO BB] Testing blast, getting "Unable to open BLOSUM62" error?

Theodore H. Smith delete at elfdata.com
Thu Feb 16 16:43:10 EST 2006

Hi people,

I've installed blast on my computer. I'm getting some errors using a
custom DB.

ShatterProof% cd /Users/theodore/Desktop/customgene.faa/
ShatterProof% blastall -p blastp -d customgene.txt -i query.txt -o

[NULL_Caption] WARNING:  [000.000]  query: Unable to open BLOSUM62
[NULL_Caption] WARNING:  [000.000]  query: BlastScoreBlkMatFill
returned non-zero status
[NULL_Caption] WARNING:  [000.000]  query: SetUpBlastSearch failed.

however, this example copied from ncbi's website, works just fine:

ShatterProof% cd /usr/blast/dbs/
ShatterProof% blastall -p blastn -d ecoli.nt -i query.txt -o test.out

I get a text file containing the result.

Is that because I'm using blastp in the first attempt, and blastn in
the second?

Where does BLAST expect the BLOSUM62 file to be?