[BiO BB] BioInformatics Workbench project

Oscar Moya omoya at uib.es
Mon Jun 26 06:34:39 EDT 2006

Ok, big projects are also possible ;)

I would be glad to have to help giving a user point of view (my programming
skills are still scarce).

Another point that could be considered for the success of such a project:

- The workbench should allow some kind of complementarity with applications
currently in use. I mean, the user should have the opportunity to keep using
their preferred software for some analysis and easily incorporate the
results (outputs) of other programs or generate inputs for them.

There are several programs that are extensively used, they are really well
done and have lots of useful and specific tools. Moreover, when you are used
to a program (even if it has very complicated commands) and you trust on it,
it is difficult to change to a new one.

I think that such point is a key for the acceptability of all-in-one
applications.

If you are interested, I can prepare a report of the most common analysis in
my field, the software available (the most popular, at least), the existing
standards in input and output files, what I miss as user or another
information that you could find valuable.

Such a work could be a good starting point for all the areas touched by your
project.

My email address is omoya at uib.es.

All the best

Óscar