[BiO BB] Re: [EMBOSS] d_ino

Maximilian Haeussler maximilianh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 10:44:33 EST 2006

If you really want to teach more than just emboss, notably bioperl,
cygwin isn't a good choice, in my opinion. You will invest hours just
to find fixes for all your favorite software to cygwin.

If speed is an issue here: I'd rather choose www.colinux.org, prepare
one disk image file for all computers, copy this to the
windows-computers and start colinux on every computer. That will give
you an ordinary linux running on windows computers at the same speed
as a normal linux (except for disk access, of course).

If speed isn't an issue: An even easier alternative would be to tell
the students to telnet onto any linux computer and do their work on
there... if telnet isn't convenient or graphical enough, they could
install the package cygwin-x and do an ssh onto the linux machine.

Max