[BiO BB] How can I retrieve the biggest transposableelementfromNCBI?

Mike Marchywka mmarchywka at eyewonder.com
Wed May 3 14:07:44 EDT 2006

Did I find the right answer? What are you trying to determine?
If the "largest" is some wierd thing, then you may have to probe
a little with even more ad-hoc criteria.
The validation phase of  an exploratory investigation should be pretty
obvious. If you can parse or just sed/grep the candidate
answers, you can make a few observations pretty quickly.
664Megs may be a bit much but I've found quite often is is faster
to download the coarse results, browse a little, and then
devise an ad-hoc selection criterion that could be very much
a quirk of the data set than to play with a web interface.

Once you have a few results, it is easy to reformat them and pipe
them elsewhere. IF you are going to do any analysis, you really need
to get around the web stuff anyway.

Mike Marchywka
EyeWonder
Instant Streaming, Infinite Results