[BiO BB] Plone and bioinformatics?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:52:20 EDT 2007

Knowing absolutely nothing about your objectives, I will assume they
are similar to mine :)
That is, they want a database to facilitate research and data mining.
First, these guys seem to have gotten just about everything right:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/eutils_help.html

and claim to have tools available ( mostly c++ code for their apps
but they maintain a bunch of gene/protein sequence databases and
even expression array data).

Second, my own personal comment, don't worry about a web interface
as much as an API and put the graphics stuff on top of that. Any "serious"
work almost always requires working around the gui. If they have
any public stuff or even internal use equivalntes-
like an epitope database or gene expression array data or
specialized servers ( upload a sequence, get an analysis back) just
make the data available with an API and let the specialized users write the
code to implement their one-off ideas. Many people think
the graphics ARE the science- obviously I don't work for Microsoft  :)

In short, I am essentially advocating that you write some terse code to
make a GENERAL, user-sensible query into SQL for postgres. Check boxes,
common queries,
trying to out guess the serious user is essentially impossible but you
always need
common pages for the casual user, users testing scripts, and demonstrations.
Obviously, if your
sponsor has a different idea it may take some selling but I think the
end-product
would be more usable and even more maintainable ( don't try to design
an interface or database around a gui). Even if they have just one "thing"
they want
everyone to do, you can write a simple web page for that and have the
other stuff ready when they change their mind.

So, I guess my response is store the data in the most flexible possible way
and make
general programmatic access availabe in an API and don't worry about clever
stuff-
that's for researchers not web page designers. Having an "output as text"
option
for everything, including spatial data that can be reduced to vectors or
something,
is a big help.