[BiO BB] how to visit NCBI Blast and get the plain text result using script

David dgw106 at york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 10:13:21 EDT 2007

Dear Lily,

You can download and run BLAST locally to save network traffic, if you
prefer, especially if you have many queries to run. Binaries are available
for many platforms at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/. Of course, you
need space to store the databases. For example, the non-redundant protein
sequence database is a few hundred MB I think...

Parsing BLAST XML output (using the option '-m 7' when running BLAST from
the command line) can be done easily using the NCBIXML module in Biopython.

This method has the feature that you have a static BLAST version and
database, so allows for reproducibility, which can be viewed as an
advantage or disadvantage, depending what you want to do.

Cheers
David