[BiO BB] need help w/ VRML viewer for big graphs - Mozilla plug-in?

Ann Loraine aloraine at gmail.com
Fri May 11 19:31:42 EDT 2007

Hi all,

This is a question for list members who may have worked with large graphs or
network files and who wouldn't mind sharing some experience and advice!

I'm trying to display a whole-genome network of correlated expression using
output from LGL (Large Graph Layout - see:
http://apropos.icmb.utexas.edu/lgl/), which generates layouts for very big
graphs. (Take a look at the image gallery if you have some spare time --
some of the images are quite impressive!)

I'm just getting started with LGL, but it looks like it can give me a VRML
document that specifies the layout of large graphs (my biggest is 500K
edges, 9k nodes), and I'd like to find a VRML viewer that might be able to
handle such a large graph. (I've got a machine w/ 3 gig memory, and access
to a few others with even more memory, but I don't have admin privs on
those, so I'd like to avoid bugging the sysadmins about installing new
software until I'm sure I've got something that will work...)

If anyone on the list can recommend a good VRML plug-in (for Mozilla) or
stand-alone viewer that might work for this application, I would be very
grateful!

Also, if you have any tips on visualizing large graphs, I'd be grateful for
those as well!

So far the only thing I've been able to find that appears capable of laying
out big graphs is LGL...but maybe there are some others?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

-Ann

--
Ann Loraine