[BiO BB] anyone familiar with flybase or scaffolding nomenclature?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:18:42 EST 2007

I read this

and thought it may be interesting to go get 12 assembled small genomes to
search for various polymoprhisms and test some code. I downloaded the
fasta files from flybase and hunted around their site for a while
but I couldn't figure out what the scaffold names mean or
if there is a set of assembled genomes somewhere. Anyone
have a link to relevant tutorial info? For that matter, can anyone suggest
another set of closely related organisms ( breeds within species
or cultivars among plants, I'm quite open to ideas) with small genomes
for testing?

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: Hotmail is blocking my mom's entire
ISP claiming it is to reduce spam but probably
to force users to use hotmail. Please DON'T
assume I am ignoring you and try
me on marchywka at yahoo.com if no reply
here. Thanks.

You IM, we give.  Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join
Now.  http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM