[BiO BB] anyone familiar with flybase or scaffolding nomenclature?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:18:42 EST 2007

Hi,
I read this

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/nov2007/nhgri-07.htm

and thought it may be interesting to go get 12 assembled small genomes to
search for various polymoprhisms and test some code. I downloaded the
fasta files from flybase and hunted around their site for a while
but I couldn't figure out what the scaffold names mean or
if there is a set of assembled genomes somewhere. Anyone
have a link to relevant tutorial info? For that matter, can anyone suggest
another set of closely related organisms ( breeds within species
or cultivars among plants, I'm quite open to ideas) with small genomes
for testing?

Thanks.

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: Hotmail is blocking my mom's entire
ISP claiming it is to reduce spam but probably
to force users to use hotmail. Please DON'T
assume I am ignoring you and try
me on marchywka at yahoo.com if no reply
here. Thanks.