[BiO BB] TopMatch protein structure alignment and superposition web service

Markus Wiederstein markii at came.sbg.ac.at
Wed Apr 2 04:52:07 EDT 2008

Hi Mike,

thanks for pointing to this interesting test case.

Indeed, the structural similarity of dehydrosqualene synthase (PDB codes: 2zco, 2zcp, 2zcq, 2zcr, 2czs) and humane squalene synthase (PDB codes 1ezf) is striking in the view of their low sequence identity. TopMatch-web yields an RMS of 3.5A and a sequence identity of 11% if the respective chains A are compared.

Talking about finding such similarities: one tool that is really helpful for this task is the qCOPS web service (some advertising again ;-) at
http://navi.services.came.sbg.ac.at/bin/qCOPS.html

For each protein deposited in PDB, you can easily explore its structural neighborhood and visualize structural similarities with TopMatch.
If you try with the example you mentioned, you find the dehydrosqualene synthase structures assigned to be similar to 1ezf.

For further information on qCOPS, see
Sippl et al.
A Discrete View on Fold Space
Bioinformatics, 24, pp. 870-871 (2008)