[BiO BB] RE: [BiO News] Amazon Web Services launches “Public Data Sets on AWS”

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 08:59:37 EST 2008

I'm not entirely sure what the commercial AWS service offers but similar issues
come up in many areas. For example, this is about real estate ( and
admittedly could use some editing in the NCBI discussion ),

http://files.ots.treas.gov/comments/fddad554-1e0b-8562-eb37-34e416089fee.pdf

( RFC is here

http://www.ots.treas.gov/?p=OpenComment&Topic_id=c0316a9e-1e0b-8562-ebd0-1ae5298909e2

)

but makes the case for free "API" based access to raw data for both
personal usage and "valued added" interface providers, which "AWS"
appears to offer. Or, maybe "weather.com"
which presumably repackages data available at noaa.gov would be a good example too,

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Marietta&state=GA&site=FFC&textField1=33.9509&textField2=-84.5411&e=0

For personal ad hoc analysis, I'd hate to be constrained by even token fees
if the data can be reasonably made available for free I can write my own analysis locally
and require no support from a commercial service.

I've actually used the census data too and the flat download formats provided
by the census is the perfect format, if you want to look see here for example,
( development tool, not assurance this will be stable),

http://www.spottext.com/launcher/db/loc.cfm?action=find&longitude=-81.46277&latitude=33.4375&dimo=.2&dima=.2&lim=50

The tiger files are huge and I'm working on an API to present arbitrary SQL to
a remote user ( no forms or html etc).