[BiO BB] survey of how scientists use computers

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Oct 23 20:47:13 EDT 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: survey of how scientists use computers
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:14:19 -0400
From: Greg Wilson <gvwilson at cs.toronto.edu>

Hi,

A group of us are running a survey to find out how scientists actually
use computers in their day-to-day work.  The blurb we're sending out is
included below, and I'd be happy to provide more information.  We've
promised first crack at the results to "American Scientist", but will be
making the data generally available.  We'd be very grateful if you could
spread the word through mailing lists, your blog, your web site, or
whatever --- we'd like to get as many people to respond as possible.

Thanks,
Greg

Computers are as important to modern scientists as test tubes,
but we know surprisingly little about how scientists develop
and use software in their research.  To find out, the University
of Toronto, Simula Research Laboratory, and the National Research
Council of Canada have launched an online survey in conjunction
with "American Scientist" magazine. If you have 20 minutes to take
part, please go to:

http://softwareresearch.ca/seg/SCS/scientific-computing-survey.html

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jo Hannay (Simula Research Laboratory)
Hans Petter Langtangen (Simula Research Laboratory)
Dietmar Pfahl (Simula Research Laboratory)
Janice Singer (National Research Council of Canada)
Greg Wilson (University of Toronto)