[BiO BB] Fwd: Announcing "Ruffus": Easy Computational Pipelines in Bioinformatics

Martin Gollery marty.gollery at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:52:50 EDT 2009

I took a look at your site, downloaded the source and went through both
tutorials. The first 5 minute tutorial took me much more than 5 minutes, the
second took me much less!
Anyway, I think that this is the Susan Boyle of bioinformatics- I didn't
expect much out of it because it was not pretty. I am familiar with the
graphic-based pipeline builders like VIBE and Pipeline Pilot, and these are
much prettier. Still, I think that what you have created is very valuable
for at least a couple of reasons.

First, many programmers do not want to use visual 'drag and drop' type
tools. These tools are aimed more at non-programmers, but in my experience
biologists would rather hire someone to create a pipeline anyway.

Second, your module is free and most of the other tools are not. While
something like Pipeline Pilot is a wonderful system in the long run, most
people just want to get something done today, and don't want to spend money
to do it.

Third, if I am creating a pipeline in Python, then your module simply makes
things easier and more efficient. To switch to another system is an extra
learning step that I don't need. Again, people generally want to solve the
problem at hand, not to create another issue.

Fourth, I like the error-checking and restart capabilities because I have
had trouble with that in the past!

Best regards,
Martin Gollery