[BiO BB] Reminder: megagenomes, metdata metaanalysis.
idoerg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:44:08 EDT 2009
Call For Abstracts and Posters: Metagenomics, Metadata and Metaanalysis
An ISMB / ECCB 2009 SIG
Date: June 27, 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Submission deadline: April 1
There are now thousands of genomes and metagenomes available for study.
Interest in improved sampling of diverse environments (e.g. ocean, soil,
sediment, and a range of hosts) combined with advances in the
development and application of ultra-high throughput sequence
methodologies are set to vastly accelerate the pace at which new
metagenomes are generated.
At the same time, we have entered the era of large-scale sequencing
projects, which include funded projects like the Genomic Encyclopedia of
Bacteria and Archaea (GEBA) project and the Human Microbiome Initiative,
with many more visionary projects on the horizon.
The M3 SIG will explore the latest concepts, algorithms, tools,
informatic pipelines, databases and standards that are being developed
to cope with the analysis of vast quantities of metagenomic data.
Through a series of invited and contributed talks, a panel discussion,
and flash talks associated with a poster session, we aim to highlight
scientific advances in the field and identify core computational
challenges facing the wider community.
We invite you to submit extended abstracts to be considered as talks or
posters for the M3 SIG. The abstracts will be reviewed by the SIG
program committee for suitability and quality. Selected abstracts will
be published in a special issue of the open access online journal
Standards in Genomic Sciences.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
* Metagenome and microbiome studies of biological interest
* Metagenome annotation
* Consistent contextual (meta)data acquisition and storage in
* Contextual (meta)data and sequence data correlation studies
* Computational infrastructures for metagenomic data processing
* Algorithms, data structures and database architectures
* April 1, 2009: Talk and poster abstracts due.
* April 20, 2009: notification of acceptance
* May 1, 2009: final abstracts due
* June 27th, 2009: M3 SIG alongside ISMB 2009 in Stockholm, Sweden
Invited speakers include:
* Owen White, Genome Sciences, UMB
* Nikos Krypides Joint Genome Institute
* Michael Ashburner, University of Cambridge
* Susanna Sansone, EBI
* Peer Bork, EMBL
For more information including submission:
Iddo Friedberg, Ph.D.
CALIT2 Atkinson Hall MC #0446
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0446 USA
+1 (858) 534-0570
More information about the BBB