[BiO BB] Pipeline Tool

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Tue Oct 6 16:28:33 EDT 2009

There's a very expensive commercial tool called Scitegic's Pipeline Pilot (may
be been re-ingested by Accelerys).  It's very well-designed (and should be
for the price), but it runs only on MS Windows (tho some back end stuff may
now run on *nix).

However, you could do a lot worse than try VisTrails.  A supported Open Source
PyQt-based visual workflow, it's meant to be easy to install (especially on
Linux) and very easy to use & debug.  It's an ongoing project and the
developers are very responsive and have one of the best senses of how to
implement a UI of the OSS ones I've seen/used.  It also tracks the changes of
the workflow in a very subversion-like way (the 'trails' part of it).  It
balances ease of use with power in ways that others have not seen fit to do
(see Kepler - enormously powerful, unusably complicated IMHO..)

http://www.vistrails.org/index.php/Main_Page

hjm