[BiO BB] help with bacterial protein sequence comparisons

Sterten at aol.com Sterten at aol.com
Wed May 16 03:36:33 EDT 2012

hmm, I just downloaded all bacterial sequences from genbank (~20GB)
you can always easily search these files for a keyword
or search for sets of such subsequences simultaneously
with viruses I did build a binary database of  16-nucleotide-subsequences
and was searching all 24-subsequences all of whose 9 subsubsequences
were marked. This was pretty fast.
I'm not sure yet what to do with bacteria and amino acids
A blast for all bacterial sequences must be quite slow  ?!?