[BiO BB] A new Open Source project, Kickstarter campaign

Beynon, Rob R.Beynon at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 03:37:27 EST 2013

I would like to bring this to your attention (apologies if it has already been done).

Livecode (previously incarnated as Hypercard, or Metacard or Revolution) is undergoing a radical change – a move to make the platform Open Source. I have used this environment for amateur hacking tasks for many years, and believe that it has much more potential than I could ever realise. It is a platform for deployment across all systems (linux, mac, Windows, mobile) and is highly object oriented and starts from a GUI design.

The originators of LiveCode (based in Edinburgh) are running a KickStarter campaign to make their platform open source. If you are interested in software development, in education or in open source GUI wrappers, LiveCode may be of interest.

Hence, I am bringing this to your attention. The campaign has 2 days to run, and is about 15% short of target. Have a look, and if you see the potential for an open source variant, please consider support.

I should also make clear I have no affiliation with LiveCode, nor do I stand to gain in any way from this posting.
I hope it is within the spirit of the open source movement to bring this to your attention.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755283828/open-source-edition-of-livecode

Prof R J Beynon | Royal Society Industrial Fellow | Protein Function Group
Institute of Integrative Biology
University of Liverpool
Crown Street | Liverpool  | L69 7ZB
+44 151 794 4312