[Bio-linux-dev] [nbx-dev] Re: Rethink about using 64-bit Linux on NBX's

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Sun Sep 27 20:31:00 EDT 2009

Martijn van Iersel wrote:
> Yes I agree, going 64 bit is the right way.
>
> But it seems to me that currently NuGO LDAP is blocking any kind of
> upgrade on the nbx'es. Until that problem is solved, this discussion is
> moot, really. At least that is my point of view.

Hello, Martijn.

Olivier Riche is taking over some of Ulrich's responsibilities, so that
problem will soon be resolved. However, my question was do you think we
should do something immediately about moving our upgraded NBX's to run a
64-bit kernel with a 32-bit Bio-Linux 5.0 userland?

My reluctance to move to a 64-bit Ubuntu is because I want to make use
of Bio-Linux 5.0, which is only available to us as 32-bit binary deb's.
My attitude to running 64-bit Ubuntu has changed since I tried out the
"ia32" libraries and I want to discuss the possibility of using 64-bit.

The NBX hardware upgrade we're doing makes it very easy to clone an NBX,
so I could send you a 512GB hard disk with the 64-bit kernel and 32-bit
Bio-Linux 5.0 in /usr/local for you to try out on "nbx5". Please let me
know what you think?

Bye,

   Tony
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK