[Bio-linux-dev] BL6 testing

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 06:42:38 EDT 2010

Hi Simon,

Thanks for volunteering to test.  A couple of caveats:

1) Switching to 64-bit does not necessarily make applications run
faster.  Most are about the same, some slower.

Ubuntu has this to say:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit

2) Dual booting normally works very well and the installer sets it all
up automatically.  We did have some problems here at CEH because we use
Novell ZenWorks.  Do you have any Novell stuff installed in Windows?

Cheers,

TIM

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 10:59 +0100, Wagstaff, Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some computationally intensive tasks that run slowly on BL5
> that I could test on BL6. It would need to be installed as a second
> dual boot OS on my existing Win 7 laptop.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Simon

> Dr. Simon Wagstaff
> Alistair Reid Venom Research Unit
> Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
> Pembroke Place
> Liverpool
> L3 5QA UK
> Tel: +44-151-705-3164
> Fax: +44-151-705-3371
> email: simonw at liv.ac.uk
>
> http://venoms.liv.ac.uk

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre
at CEH Wallingford
+44 1491 69 2705