[Bio-linux-dev] BL6 testing

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 09:30:28 EDT 2010

Hi Simon,

> I've just got a standalone Win7 Pro laptop without any Novell
> software. In any case, I'm pretty sure our place has replaced all
> their Novell stuff. Some of my tasks are probably quite memory
> intensive so I was hoping they may run faster. I have an core i7 with
> 8GB and was hoping the 64 bit version will take advantage the extra
> memory. I've 2 HDDs, a solid state and 7200 spindle.

Right - this setup will certainly benefit from the new system.

> I was hoping to install the BL6 on the SSD (alongside my existing Win
> 7) and deposit the data/documents etc on the spindle drive (I use the
> same format for Win OS and data). Being able to see data from both OS
> on the spindle drive would be an advantage.

That should work well.  Modern Linux systems can reliably read and write
NTFS formatted drives so you can share the data.

> Does this platform help your testing?

Definitely.

> Presumably I can just upgrade from your server when the new tested BL6
> comes out rather than reinstall?

Yes, I should have mentioned that.  There will possibly be a few manual
fixes to apply but most things will be handled by package updates and
you certainly won't need to reinstall.

I've still got a few things to configure on the ISO image before I can
send it out but it's coming along nicely.

Cheers,

TIM