[Bio-linux-dev] [Bio-linux-announce] Bio-Linux 6 plans and release schedule

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 09:17:55 EST 2010

Hi Tony,

Bio-Linux 6 will only install on 64-bit architectures.  If you try to
boot the installer DVD on a 32-bit machine it will display an error
message and go no further.  However, virtually all modern machines are
64-bit capable, even if not advertised as such.  This includes things as
old as the Dell Precision 670s that were our recommended systems way
back in 2005.

If you do have an older PC, you will still be able to upgrade Ubuntu to
the latest release and you will still be able to obtain software
packages from us.  After June, we will no longer prioritise packaging
new versions of applications for 32-bit systems, but if you need a
specific package it is very likely we will be able to arrange it.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers,

TIM