[Bio-linux-dev] Bio-Linux 6 Beta 1 release

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu May 6 06:24:15 EDT 2010

Hi Tony,

> Re: security, I recommend that you install "fail2ban", and "rkhunter".

I'm not touching fail2ban with a ten foot pole.  Mistyped your password?
Temporary DNS issue?  Banned forever!!  Some servers here at CEH had it
on and it was nothing but trouble - banning localhost was a favourite
trick.  I've yet to see it configured in a way that actually does what
it is supposed to do.

By default, newly created users cannot log in with ssh, so we hope that
anyone enabling ssh access on their account will set a decent password.
I do need to check that this restriction is also honoured by NX.

I'll take a look at rkhunter though I believe it is prone to false
alarms.  I'll definitely put chkrootkit back on - I think it was
standard on BL5.

> If the system crashes during a dump, I believe it is just as important
> to be able to redo any pending disk transactions on a backup drive as
> it is on a working disk.

If the system crashes during a dump then the latest dump file is
truncated and useless in any case, and if you're writing other files to
that drive then you're not using it in the "normal" way, but I'll go
ahead and change it to ext4 as it makes no odds to me, and as you say it
will save time if fsck is run.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre