[Bio-linux-dev] bio-linux-backups

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon May 17 04:32:34 EDT 2010

Hi Tony,

Yes, I changed the setup script to run 'mkfs.ext4' instead of
'mkfs.ext3' as you suggested.  There's not much I can do about the
standard behaviour of Dpkg in overwriting packaged files, but for the
benefit of everyone on this list who may find it useful, here's how to
protect your custom files with dpkg-divert:

sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/example.distrib --rename /usr/bin/example

Now the .distrib file will be overwritten by any package updates, and
you are free to put your own version into /usr/bin/example knowing that
it is safe from any clobbering.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre