[Bio-linux-dev] bio-linux-backups 'sync' problem

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Oct 12 15:49:47 EDT 2010

Hello, Bio-Linux and NBX developers.

I've encountered a potentially serious problem with "bio-linux-backups"
because someone unplugged a USB device from one of our NBX's without
'safely' removing it first. This left writes pending to the USB device
making "sync" hang indefinitely waiting for the unplugged USB device to
respond and effectively blocking "/etc/cron.daily/backup" from running.

Many people take a rather cavalier approach to unplugging USB devices,
but especially if they have NTFS filesystems on them you *must* either
unmount or "Safely Remove" them before unplugging USB storage devices
(sticks, keys, drives etc.). I think it might be useful for "backup" to
set an alarm before running "sync" so that it is possible to continue
execution past this type of potential deadlock after issuing a warning.

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK