[Bio-linux-dev] bio-linux-galaxy or galaxy-server

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Jul 9 11:02:58 EDT 2012

Hi Will,

Sorry, the redundant bio-linux-* packages have now been cleaned off the
server.  All the packages (aside from the OpenOffice one which has
nothing to do with this) are ours.  If you want to try Galaxy with all
the default package dependencies, install "galaxy-server-all".

These have not yet been officially announced because, while complete,
there is still a bit more testing to do before I'm happy and we can
co-ordinate an announcement with our collaborators in Manchester.

Note that you'll get a warning about two missing packages - we can't put
these on the main server due to licensing restrictions.

And yes, I'd be interested in the startup script.  I need to review the
latest packaging guidelines but I think we'll need separate startup
scripts for Ubuntu and Debian if this is to work on both.  There's some
way to go before the Galaxy packages (at least the core) could make it
to Debian-Med, though, as I've employed some very nasty hacks to get
them building!

Cheers,

TIM

> $ aptitude search galaxy
> p   bio-linux-galaxy-all  - A web-based analysis environment with third party dependencies
> p   bio-linux-galaxy-core - A web-based analysis environment
> p   bio-linux-galaxy-dependencies - Third party dependencies for Galaxy (a web-based analysis tool)
> p   galaxy-server - A web-based analysis environment
> p   galaxy-server-all - Galaxy server with all recommended tools
> p   galaxy-server-test - Test and demo data for Galaxy server
> p   openoffice.org-style-galaxy - office productivity suite -- Galaxy (Default) symbol style
>
> So galaxy seems to be packaged twice, once by bio-linux, and once
> elsewhere. Tim and Soon Gweon are the maintainers in bot cases. So -
> should I be using bio-linux-galaxy or galaxy-server?
>
> Tim - I also have a debian service-compatible init.d startup script
> for galaxy if you're interested. Similar to the
> current /etc/init/galaxy.conf, but with greater functionality.
>
> Best,
>
> Will
>
> ---
> William Spooner           http://eaglegenomics.com
> M:07779-663045 E:william.spooner at eaglegenomics.com

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England