[Bio-linux-dev] bio-linux-galaxy or galaxy-server

William Spooner william.spooner at eaglegenomics.com
Mon Jul 9 11:46:03 EDT 2012

Thanks Tim,

I cannot believe how much drift there is in the sysV init system between distros! Anyway, fwiw, here is my attempt at a no-frills startup script for galaxy on Ubuntu;

---
#!/bin/sh
#
# Galaxy init script written by William Spooner, adapted from original by Michael Rusch
#

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:                     galaxy
# Required-Start:               $local_fs $remote_fs $network
### END INIT INFO

GALAXY_DIR="/usr/local/galaxy"
GALAXY_RUN="$GALAXY_DIR/run.sh"
GALAXY_LOG="$GALAXY_DIR/paster.log"
GALAXY_LCK="/tmp/galaxy.run.lock"
GALAXY_USER="galaxy"
RETVAL=0

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo -n "Starting galaxy..."
        sudo -u $GALAXY_USER env HOME=$GALAXY_DIR $GALAXY_RUN --log-file=$GALAXY_LOG --daemon
	RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch $GALAXY_LCK
        return $RETVAL
        ;;
    stop)
        echo -n "Stopping galaxy..."
        sudo -u $GALAXY_USER env HOME=$GALAXY_DIR $GALAXY_RUN --stop-daemon
	RETVAL=$?
	echo
	[ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f $GALAXY_LCK
        ;;