[Bio-linux-dev] Upgrade to Bio-Linux 7 (at last)

Mike Cox mikeyj.cox at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:29:22 EDT 2012

Hi Tim,

Have just bitten the bullet and run the script on our BL6 box.  One or two
hiccups:

1. When I initially ran the script I hit a question about whether or not to
update a Grub config file.  There were about 7 or 8 different choices here,
so I went conservative and chose to keep the version I have.  In hindsight
should I have selected differently?  If so, how can I change this now?

2. After the first run through of the script I had a fully operative
Precise, but very little of BioLinux.  Repeat running of the script
installed some additional things, but got to a point where there were still
bits missing (QIIME hadn't updated fully - though it would run the QIIME
shell no commands would work as it complained about the wrong version of
numpy).  Running it several more times just gave the same result (T-coffee
was in a loop, being marked for upgrade, but then never upgrading for
example). I fixed this by updating via synaptic, which leaves me with a
working QIIME.

I don't have the BioLinux background, so I suspect that I still have a
partial install.  Is there a way to compare what should be installed and
what I actually have?

NX also not yet working (users attempting to access get a message saying
'access disabled by host').  Attempted to follow Tony's suggestions above -
installed Fallback (which hadn't been installed), installed ubuntu-desktop
(or so  thought) and purged network-manager, breaking my internet
connection.  This fool suggests the update isn't quite fool-proof yet - I
should be a professional caving canary ;)

Also I left my keys at home, which means my laptop is locked in a drawer.
I'm fairly sure you can't help with this, but a lend of a jemmy would be
useful. Today is fired.

Any reccommendations?  Everything is backed up in case a full install is
required - but we have a lot of users, so that would be a pain.

Cheers

Mike

blog: http://palecomic.tumblr.com/
skype: mikeyjcox