[Bio-linux-dev] Upgrade to Bio-Linux 7 (at last)

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 11:35:11 EDT 2012

Hi,

> I've had Unity running under x2go:
>
>    http://www.x2go.org/
>
> This, apparently, is the direction Canonical want Ubuntu to go instead
> of using FreeNX. The snag is that x2go is NOT compatible with NX/FreeNX.

OK, looks like this is something I need to look into, but since people
like Mike are happy with NX I'll not switch the default system on BL
unless I really have to.

> How does that compare with just forwarding X11?
>
>    ssh -CX user at host

Doesn't require Windows user to start a separate Exceed (or Xorg)
session.
Significantly faster for some graphical apps, notably Java Swing
interfaces.
Otherwise, not much difference.

> I think this might be because a large number of packages 'recommended'
> by ubuntu-desktop are missing. That's what has happended on our server
> install. I'm looking into it, and comparing what Tim's script installed
> with the manifest of the casper filesystem on the Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
> Desktop iso.

I deliberately only installed the ubuntu-desktop essentials because, as
you said, a lot of the recommended stuff has no place on a server, but
anything needed for remote desktop should indeed go on the list.

Cheers,

TIM