[Bio-linux-dev] Upgrade to Bio-Linux 7 (at last)

Tony Travis tony.travis at ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 19:42:17 EDT 2012

On 17/10/12 22:57, Tony Travis wrote:
> [...]
> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about NX, but it took me a
> while to work out what was wrong. I notice that you install
> "freenx-server", instead of "freenx", and that the indicator panel is
> missing. The terminal font is unreadable (overlapping letters) and there
> is no "logout" button. I worked around the font problem by editing the
> default terminal proble and installed "indicator-applet-complete" to
> provide a logout button in the top right corner. I've now got NX in a
> more-or-les workable configuration, but I'm concerned that this did not
> happen when I installed "ubuntu-desktop" and "FreeNX" on an Ubuntu 12.04
> LTS server instance manually (i.e. without your upgrade script).

Hi, Tim.

I've resolved the font problems when running the Gnome fall-back session
under NX, but you're not going to like my solution!

Ubuntu/Debian now install 'recommends' by default. However, your script
does not and only installs the bare minimum. In particular, it does not
install terminal fonts or, as noted previously, the indicator applet.

I want to deploy a full Bio-Linux 7 desktop on a terminal server, so
I've forced the installation of all "ubuntu-desktop" recommends:

> aptitude purge ubuntu-desktop
> aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
> aptitude purge network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome

Note: The "network-manager*" packages should not be installed on a
server. However, the other "ubuntu-desktop" recommends are as useful on
a Bio-Linux terminal server as they are on a stand-alone Bio-Linux
laptop/desktop.

Next task - How to backup properly: WHY use "nepomuk" from KDE?

Even the default, duplicity-based, Ubuntu backup is better than that!

Bye,

   Tony.